Here is Paul with a new friend. Sorry, Amy, we missed you – but she doesn’t compare!!!!
We stopped in a cafĂ© and talked politics and US history. Then we headed for Long Beach and the RMS Queen Mary, the original. It was so exciting to see her again after 54 years. Yikes! I am actually two cabins down from the one I occupied in 1954. Not that much has changed unless you count the monster plasma TV! The twin beds covered in lovely peach satin have been replaced with a king size bed and more dramatic, but ho-hum colors. No- dramatic and ho-hum is not an oxymoron!!! But the rest is all original…..so very 30’s. After I checked in, we had drinks in the Observation Bar – all art deco. Here we are:
Then, a delicious dinner at Sir Winston’s, which is set in the old Engineer’s Quarters on the sports Deck. The service was definitely “old Cunard”. I intend to explore the ship and video it on Saturday. Not all areas are open, but enough. It seems very dark, but that is because of all the wonderful wood, real wood, mostly burl walnut. Also one tends to compare to the current Cunard crop – all blond wood! But then one gets used to it and all the memories of incredible elegance come back. And there are still two more stunning grand pianos – in addition to the one going to Dubai on the QE2!
Hi Elaine, I'm so happy that you are having such a wonderful start to your latest adventure! It's such fun to see the pictures and read your fabulous blog! All is well here but it is VERY COLD! We are going to be so jealous of you in the warm climes! Last night I went to the Bristol Holiday "Walkabout" which was lots of fun, and I discovered a few Galleries that I never knew existed. We'll have to peruse when you return. Julie and Bill leave tomorrow, so I will visit Mr. Beau and give him lovies! Sending hugs, Nan
ReplyDelete