The central lagoon, which is basically the caldera, some 1300 feet deep, is surrounded by 984 ft high cliffs. Th capital, Fira, clings to the top of the cliff. When we approached the island, the white villages along the top of the cliffs looked like snow....or icing on a cake. We hove to in the lagoon; we did not anchor. Tenders delivered us to the tiny port of Skala at the base of the cliffs. We were faced with 3 options to reach the town. The cable car, a zigzag walkway of some 587 steps or a donkey ride. Well, for me there was no choice; these poor pack animals are not well treated in this part of the world...heartbreaking. My knees could not manage all those steps.....so it was the 5-cabin, dry rapid cable car.
Once at the top, I was blinded by the whiteness. Everything is white, whiff, white. arcades, restaurants, shops, And more steps!!! I walked from one end of the town to the other, looking for some of the picturesque churches...but they were closed!!! These buildings were all restored after the 1956 earthquake. I walked as far as the old Frankish quarter which was not restored and looks like a ghost town.
Having seen the entire town, I went back to the ship to relax. We went to the officers cocktail party in the Winter Garden....always the best party....smaller group which makes it easier to talk to everyone.
Tomorrow is a sea day. Also packing day. Also Ross's and Layne's birthdays. We are having a mimosa breakfast in the main dining room and then dinner at Todd English. Then it will be time to say our goodbyes!!!! Wonderful cruise! And we had some of The best table mates all of whom I will see next year during the QM2 cruise. Life is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment