Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Took an early flight down to Queenstown - barely 30 minutes in the air. The pilot announced that the arrival would be dramatic and that he loved this route. Well, he was right! It was not quite Paro, but pretty close as he turned between mountains and then dropped into the valley and the airport. The view from the plane of the snow-capped Mackenzie Range in the distance were stunning. We left Christchurch in bleak overcast weather; but the sky is brilliant blue here with a few puffy clouds. It is hot with just a hint of a cool breeze, especially on the lake. Queenstown is a holiday mecca on Lake Wakatipu. It looks like a combination of Switzerland and the Italian lakes; but the town itself is modern. Lots of hotels, youth hostels, B&Bs and nice shops. Queenstown is also the center of extreme sports in New Zealand (billed as New Zealand's Adventure Capital)- basically their birthplace. You name it and you can do it here...and they do. And they are all very young!!!! Hang gliding, bungy-jumping (NZ spelling); parasailing; gliding; sky-diving; jet boating and skiing in the winter and much more. And - lots of hiking trails, some taking days to complete. My hotel is a little gem right on the lake and I have a balcony with an amazing view of the lake and the mountains. I plan to be on it until the light fades round about 9 pm. I left my luggage at the hotel (the room wasn't ready) and took the gondola up the local peak (no name?) for spectacular views and a delicious buffet lunch with a local Otego Sauvignon Blanc. Watched the hang-gliders, some coming down right in front of the window! Also watched the lugers. If you want to luge, you rent a plastic luge and a helmet, you take a chairlift from the Skyline Restaurant to the very top of the mountain with the luge attached to the seat and then you race, as fast as you want, down the luge run. After lunch, I took an old coal-fired steamer for a little cruise on the lake. It was wonderful basking in the sun on the open deck. The scenery here is absolutely breathtaking. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll let you judge for yourselves. And here's the view from my balcony
Tomorrow I leave early for an overnight fiordland trip and I spend the night in Te Anau - try finding that on your maps!
Hi Elaine,
ReplyDeleteGlad you're having good weather, Hope you're going to see Milford Sound the drive there is as spectacular as is the Sound. Look forward to seeing you on Sunday.
Cheers,
Phyllis.
Hi Elaine,
ReplyDeleteEnjoying your blog and glad you liked Queenstown. Hope you enjoy fiordland and get to drive through to Milford sound. The drive is as spectacular as the Sound itself. Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday.
Cheers,
Phyllis
Breathtaking scenery! I feel as though I'm there - your Thanksgiving was DEFINITELY a special one and one you will always remember!
ReplyDeleteIt was so nice for you to meet Maureen who sounds like a very interesting lady. Sorry about the balloon ride - maybe it just wasn't meant to be - don't worry, there's still your parachuting!
We had a marvelous and relalxing day. I didn't get stressed about anything; things just gradually got done and we ended up eating @ 5:30 as Dwight's plane didn't arrive until about 11:30. Henry sat in his high chair at the table but decided he didn't like that so we took turns passing him around the table to keep him occupied. Ted brined the turkey and it came out beautifully. Then we watched a very silly but funny movie, "Tropic Thunder" and sipped a little more drinkage along with it. It was a lovely day! Can't wait to hear about your fiord trip and Te Anau! XXOO Nan