Friday, January 8, 2010

PARIS

Tra la la – puttin’ on the Ritz.
Tra la la – stayin’ at the Ritz..

Well, here I am in Paris and lucky to be here too. The situation at Heathrow is so bad that no BA planes have left JoBurg for two days. Some people were being re-booked for the 11th and the 13th. I was lucky - Jay’s travel agent got me a confirmed seat on an Air France direct flight to Paris. After waiting one hour in the BA line to do the paperwork, we went to check in and were told that I was on stand-by. Someone had overbooked by 50 people. All I could do was wait until 7:30. Jay and I had coffee and confabbed on all possible scenarios if I didn’t get on the flight. We tried all the other airlines going to Europe…all full. Anyway, Jay’s optimism paid off and I was the first stand-by to be called. You can imagine my relief.

Flight was pretty good – but AF is not what it once was. Qantas is still the one for me!!! I read and slept a bit. I was met by “Olivier” at the door of the plane at 6 am. With his special ID, we went straight to the head of the immigration line. Now that’s a nice feeling! Very VIP! We still had to wait for baggage – I described my suitcases to him and he spotted them right away. He whisked me off and handed me over (passing the parcel again- hahahah) to Eric, the chauffeur of the Merc. Before I knew it, we were entering the Place Vendome – lovely even in the very gray winter morning – sun still hadn’t come up! And there it was - the Ritz. The doorman whisked my luggage off – another porter whisked me off to reception. All smiling and “Bonjour Madame” - but not condescending.

My room is not ready of course. So I am sitting in this beautiful salon – I’ll have some coffee later. I don’t think I’ll have to wait until 1pm, normal check-in time. I really can’t go out – I do not have my full complement of winter clothes on yet – it was 100 degrees when I left, so I changed into what I could carry in the plane. It is 25 degrees here and snow is forecast for tomorrow and Sunday.



I am trying not to fall asleep – though that is all I want to do - because I am sure I will snore. hahahahah

10am - yay I have a room and here are some photos - it's breathtaking and this is just an "ord inary" room. Note the light switches....and the bedside Bose! Built in the early 18th century, it became Cesar Ritz's luxuryhotel in 1898. Escoffier, the great chef was his minority partner. The facade was designed by Mansart. Most everything in the room seems to be original....re-gilded, re-painted etc.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Elaine, We were thinking of you and how you managed when we heard about all the snow and airport closings. So glad you were able to change flights and arrive as planned. Have a wonderful time in Paris. Your room is gorgeous! Loved all the other photos as well, plus your escapades. :-) Kathy

    ReplyDelete