Hilo, Hawaii (Big Island)
March 6, 2013
Back in the USofA!
Mostly gray and rainy as we arrived...then the sun broke through and there was a beautiful rainbow right across the harbour. Immigration officials boarded here and we all had to present ourselves for passport inspection first thing upon arrival.
As is the case for most of the Pacific islands, the Big Island is volcanic and has the distinction of being the youngest land mass on earth because Kilauea has been erupting continuously for the last 20 years. Mauna Loa is also an active volcano, while Mauna Kea is dormant. Mauna Kea is snow-capped for part of the year and there was still some up there.
I took a helicopter tour over Kilauea volcano in the morning. What luck! I was seated up front and against the door! It was thrilling just being up in the air, seeing everything from a bird's eye view. Even more thrilling was to see so much volcanic activity. Lava from the Puuoo vent flows into the ocean, sending up billows of steam and turning the water yellow from the sulphur. Just under the lava, you can catch glimpses of the red magma. Volcanic cones erupt with red magma, which is incredibly dramatic. Steam spews out here and there right up the side of the volcano. We were flying at around 5000 feet, but with my telephoto lens, I could look right down into the gates of hell! We flew over areas where the cooling lava has left fantastic designs. We saw the remnants of the village of Kalapana which was buried in 1990. Since land ownership lasts100 years, people have already started to rebuild right on the cooled lava field.
The only downside to the day was that it started to rain as we took off.....rain alternated with sun for the rest of the ride. But when we returned, the skies opened up just as I made my way to the terminal. I was soaked to the skin and arrived shivering and cold at the ship. Well, nothing a Meyers rum couldn't cure!!
Some photos:
Kahului, Maui
March 7, 2013
Much prettier island...at least from what I can see from my balcony. Lovely day. Blue skies and sun for once. This was good because I went on a whale watch. The whales we saw are Humpback whales, or Megaptera Novaeangliae who are born here. They go to Alaska for one purpose...to eat and eat and eat in order to sustain themselves for the long voyage home to this area where they breed and calve. As with the grey whales in Cabo San Lucas two years ago, we watched mothers and calves together. The calves are nursing and frolicking.....exercising their flippers and flukes. We had some wonderful sightings. No full breaches, but wonderful tail and flipper smacking...and a full head popping straight up to reconnoiter. A lot of the time, the whales were just lolling at the surface and you could see just how long they are. We also saw quite a few sea turtles who popped up their little heads to take a look at us.
Some photos:
At sea
March 8, 2013
The first of four days at sea en route to LA. The captain ended code red today and so the ship returns to normal. I hurried down to the Verandah to make a reservation for lunch. I was fourth in line and their phone was ringing off the hook! I got what we wanted...one last lunch before we disembark.
Other than that, you know my daily regimen. So, this is my last post. I've had a wonderful time, but I am looking forward to getting home on the 12th and seeing everyone.....and my Bau.
No comments:
Post a Comment