Saturday, June 27, 2009

DAY 5 EN ROUTE TO HONNINGSVAAG





Despite another “nuit blanche” in the truest sense of the word (I barely slept and the sky never darkened), I sallied forth after posting Day 4. After a clear morning a cold mist settled upon us just as I went out onto the Lido deck to meet the Cruise Critic gang. I sat with them for a while, covered in blankets, then gave up and went to do some errands, including booking tables for 13 (!!!) for Indian night on the 3rd. Bryan is a people magnet and invites everyone to come along for everything. He is going to the Queens Room as 2:50 to stake out tables for tea, which begins at 3:30!!!! (Note – not to worry, Roscoe, you are still the king of people magnets!!)

Met Jacques and Jacqueline for lunch in the Britannia Dining Room at 1. Delicious 3-course lunch with a very nice Argentinean pinot gris and delightful conversation. Finished at 2:45…..tea 45 minutes later with the gang. This is far more than I usually do!!! Then Jacques, Jacqueline and I went off to do Wipeout Trivia…we lost badly.

Here are photos of Bryan and John; Margaret, Jacques and Michele. I need to get one of Jacques and Jacqueline.

Very nice dinner with my tablemates – then a double Glenfiddich and an early night. I’ll let you know tomorrow if I sleep.

We entered the Arctic Circle this afternoon. 66degrees30'N. Tomorrow Nordkap, the northernmost inhabited area in Europe.

Thank you all for your comments. They should all be posted by now.

5 comments:

  1. Hallo, Elaine, Your photos are terrific. They bring back a lot of memories for me.
    Speaking of photos, I took lots today of Beau. We sat out under the birch tree for lunch and much of the afternoon. We had him in his run and he seemed quite content.
    I cleaned up under the birch and planted 12 really beautiful red salvia plants. They look really nice against the white of the trunk.
    The weather finally came through for us today. It is the best day in about 3 months...or so it seems.
    Last evening we really enjoyed the music at John and Ann's. Their ensemble has bulked up with many more singers. They sang and played music from the Renaissance as well as some Broadway show tunes. It was an interesting mix. John played his harpsichord; they also had their piano brought out for the evening. Lots of people in attendance. Big spread of wine and yummo hors d'ouvres.
    Bill helped John return the chairs to the yacht club this morning. I think Ann feels like staying in bed for the rest of the weekend. They did a lot of work to put the evening together. It was a huge success.
    Tonight Nan will probably join us for happy hour on the patio. Wish you were here; but we all know you are having a marvelous trip. Enjoy!
    Adjo! Bill and Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elaine,
    Wow! How interesting you make it all seem. And what fantastic scenerey and photography. Love the houses. You would make a great PR for Cunard Cruises! You also appear to be meeting some great folk and having fuuuun...
    Cheers,
    Phyl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elaine,
    Am enjoying 'cruising along with you'. What fabulous scenerey and photography. You'd make a great PR for the QV. It appears you also have some great company...
    Cheers,
    Phyl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh -- that's how you work this thing...So what are you doing? Working on a new book -- Sleepless in Norway? .. Do what Amy did declare that the "sun has set" and that's it.
    Meanwhile the blog is very spirited and you appear to be no slouch as a people magnet yourself. Rock on lucky one .. we'll be here nightly for the blog.
    - A & P ..

    ReplyDelete