We are cruising on a millpond – across the Andaman Sea to the Bay of Bengal – always the smoothest part of this cruise. Just before noon, we passed Great Nicobar Island which is one of the Andaman Islands, administered by India. An inhospitable place due to suspicious natives and sea crocodiles!
Hot and humid still – not even much of a breeze by the pool. We lolled there nevertheless….but in the shade. Other than that and an occasional dip to cool off, the captain’s cocktail party and dinner, I did nothing else. I had seen the shows on previous voyages and I just wasn’t in the mood for any of the three (!!!!) lectures today. I just wanted to veg out!
March 28th
Another hot humid day spent by the pool. A bit more movement in the sea today, as we continue through the Bay of Bengal to the east of Sri Lanka.
We had our hamburgers and onion rings today at the pool bar – yum….and tonight we did the alternative dining which was Indian.
The movie of the day was “Slumdog Millionaire”, but I didn’t want to see it again. Yesterday’s was “The Hurt Locker” which I want to see…but 2pm is nap time!!! You can see how relaxed I am!
Here is a photo of the flowers from the Rynds, some from Ross and a photo of us at the Indian dinner. Left to right: moi, David, Karen, Ross, Jan (Ross’ sister) Layne.
Phyl – thanks for your comment. By the way, Ross has the most amazing cabin – it faces forward and he has a window seat from which to see the views from the bow. Now if only he could figure out a way to get the doors open to the deck which runs right across deck 6. They were open during the 2008 World Cruise and we used that deck many times, especially transiting the Suez Canal. But I suspect, there were complaints about the noise from the two cabins whose windows look out on the deck. But, you know Ross, he is determined. Stay tuned! Oh, and by the way, Layne and I are related!!! Well……..our grandparents were Woollams, which is a very rare name – originally from the Welsh border country. Small world!!!
March 29th
This morning we are just south of Sri Lanka. The Cunard ships used to stop at Colombo - in fact, a stop was on the original 2008 World Cruise itinerary – but the war with the Tamil Tigers put an end to that. During the day we shall head to the northwest across the Gulf of Mannar, follow the west cost of southern India to Cochin, our next port of call. The sea is very calm again. We saw a lot of flying fish. There was a whale sighting apparently, but not for us!
Lazy morning starting with breakfast with the gang. Decided against the pool – too hot and humid. Headed for a lecture on the Psychology of Persuasion. After 20 minutes, I was persuaded that the lecturer was really very boring and did not have his notes well organized. After lunch with Jan and Ross, I went to the matinee concert with David. Opera Interludes gave their last concert: highlights of Madame Butterfly in full costume. A pianist accompanied the singers. It was a very good performance; the pianist was really very good indeed.
This afternoon, I decided to go out on the balcony for tea and the minute I opened the door there they were - whales all over the place...a large pod frolicking.
We booked dinner at Todd English so that we could eat earlier and go to the early show, but we were having too much fun…..and the food was delicious. David and Karen caught the end of the show and the rest of us had coffee in the Café Carinthia, then watched the dancing at the Masquerade Ball.
Hello Elaine; so glad that you are enjoying yourself and everything sounds wonderful. We are drowning here in RI we were on the Today Show this morning, terrible flooding - I had to turn around this morning and come home, Rte 14 was a river! Otherwise all is well, Puerto Rico was great and this weekend promises to be glorious. We miss you - continue to enjoy every moment and we'll see you soon?! Much love Marion
ReplyDelete