Friday, April 16, 2010

At Sea - en Route to Civitavecchia

Last night, we sailed south out of the Aegean Sea into the Ionian Sea. We picked up our pilot for the Strait of Messina (between Italy and Sicily) at 5 pm today, so we all had a nice view of that. The Strait is a very narrow channel and again, we use a Traffic Separation Scheme which manages the large volume of traffic. Shortly before sunset, we passed Stromboli, a small island with an active volcano in the Tyrhennian Sea.

Today was the 2010 World Voyage Charity Fair. To be honest, it was not as good as that of 2008, so we didn’t spend anything. I donated some clothes and books. But we all paid to have tea served by volunteer passengers. So we did contribute something. I am looking forward to the auction in a few days – but I am not bidding on another engine room tour! Hahahaha.

After dinner, I went down to the Queens Room with Christine and Diane. Diane is a fabulous ballroom dancer. It was Sock Hop Party night with the band. You will all be so proud of me. I danced with everyone and had a ball. I did not step on anyone’s toes – I did not have two left feet………..and I intend to do it again before I leave this ship. So hah to the naysayers! Hah!

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Elaine, I'm glad you went to Sounion. I remember seeing it at sunset...a beautiful spot. So tomorrow you get to go Tom Cruising at Bracciano! If you have time, there is an excellent place to eat called Ristorante Sona Tuta...very local cuisine...reasonably priced...near castle...via Agostino Fausti. Hope the weather is nice for your excursion. It was not nice here today..kind of cold. We got spoiled last week with unusually warm sunshine. Maybe by the time you get to Southampton, the volcanic ash will have blown away. Let's hope so. Bill has been grooming Bau with the brush so that he will look georgious when you return. Enjoy your last days at sea! Ciao, Bill and Julie

    ReplyDelete