Monday, April 19, 2010

At Sea – en Route to Southampton – in the Mediterranean




April 18

Christine presented a lecture on Pompeii – excellent, with all the naughty bits of the mosaics censored! Saw them all in the Naples museum last time!!!!
Spent most of the day at the stern pool, listened to the band and had my last cheeseburger with fries and onion rings.
Booked to come home on the QM2 – am on waiting list – just in case I can’t fly home. Getting very worried and it is really putting a damper on the last few days.
We had a cabin cavalcade before dinner, which was fun. At least we have a terrific group of people at our table: two English widows; two Aussie girls from the Perth area and a British couple. So all the laughter detracts from the problems in Europe.

April 19

We all had formal breakfast in the Britannia…..first time for me since the World Cruise. I never go there! Still, it was fun
A about 1:45 we sailed slowly through the Straits of Gibraltar. It was a gorgeous day with brilliant blue skies, but the rock was partly obscured by clouds at first. We were able to see the Moroccan side very clearly as well. It was very exciting. Shrtly after, we
Played Scrabble with the five girls for most of the afternoon – we had three games going and then we rotated partners and continued.
4:30 brought the World Charity Auction. Compared to two year ago, they were practically giving items away – and the choice was not…..well, choice! Hahaha. I did not bid on anything – some of the others did, but were outbid.
The news tonight brought hope to all stranded and potentially stranded air travelers. So it looks as though I am headed for Heathrow – fingers crossed. Can’t wait to get home.
After dinner, we went to the Crew Show, which featured some terrific talent. The man who sang “Unchained Melody” brought the house down.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine, loving all your adventures and hope that you can enjoy the last few days without worry about your return. We'll get you home if we have to send a submarine!! All will be well....and all is well here too if you discount crazy robins and ugly scarecrows! Can't wait to see you, loving hugs, Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Elaine, Glad you're having fun with a terrific group of folks on your (hopefully) last few days at sea. As you know, we are hopeful that you will make that flight on Thursday. Dave keeps calling me for updates. I know you'll call us on Thursday, at which point I'll relay message to Dave. Weather here was decent today; Bill got in a nice bike ride and I sat outside in the sun this afternoon. Tomorrow should be nice as well. I loved seeing your photos of The Rock. Bill and I spent a fun couple of days in Gibralter and got to go inside the maze of tunnels within the Rock. When Bill bought the tickets to get into the tunnels, he actually received the tckets from a Barbary Ape! Hey, keep having fun as you sail towards Southamton. Everyone is keeping their fingers crossed for you!. Love and Ciao, Bill and Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Elaine, I am saying prayers that the new cloud reported on this morning's news will be blown AWAY from England! Try not to worry and enjoy your last couple of days - and if you have to come home on the QM2, well.. things could be worse! Either way, we'll all be glad to have you home! Your blog with pictures has been grand! So happy you have met such a fun group of people! Hugs, XO Nan

    ReplyDelete