We drove down the N6 from Paris to Chalon with a nice rest stop. After Auxerre, we started to see the Burgundy countryside. Fields of various crops gave way to rolling hills, pasture land with the white Charolais cows (for beef, not dairy) and then hillsides of vineyards, dotted with lovely old villages. We passed some of the most famous Burgundy vineyards in the Côtes de Beaune and the Cotes Chalonnais: Puligny, Meursault, Chablis, Pommard, Volnay…….this is wine-lover’s heaven.
We arrived in Chalon and embarked on the River Royale in time for lunch. This boat is larger and our cabin is significantly larger and very nicely appointed. The décor is traditional but the decorator has not been heavy-handed…much nicer on the eyes. I wish I could upload photos, but just cannot. Since the same thing happened on Cunard in January, I think that maybe these two companies have poor satellite providers.
After lunch, I walked around the town. It was empty and very quiet, since it is Easter Sunday and Easter holiday for the children, so many families are away on holiday. Chalon-sur-Saône lies in the south of the Burgundy region of France. It was historically a busy port for transporting wine, timber and other goods. Today, it is more of an industrial town with many glass factories – for the wine industry of course. St. Vincent's Cathedral on the Place Saint-Vincent, has some elements dating from the eighth century and a neoclassical nineteenth century façade. There are some old half-timbered houses in this area. The statue of Chalon’s famous son, Nicéphore Niepce, the inventor of photography, stands along the riverside.
This city square also has a number of cafés and a busy market on Fridays and Sundays. I happened onto Town Hall Square where 17th century church of St. Pierre stands. The doors were open and so I climbed the stone steps and ventured in. I thought it would be nice to light a candle on Easter Sunday. I was sitting in a chair, just contemplating, when three girls came in. They asked me if it would bother me if they sang. I said, of course not. They positioned themselves under the dome and treated me to a glorious a cappella rendition of “Gracious Lord”. How is that for serendipity!!! I talked with them and found out that they were students at the local conservatory and they just loved to sing. I told them that their song in the church was a better present than chocolate…….which, by the way, here, are delivered by bells, not bunnies!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment