Wednesday, February 20, 2013

At sea en route to Auckland


February 17-19, 2013
At sea, en route to Auckland

After Samoa, I resumed my usual schedule: in the morning, Trivia and lectures: "Seafaring Lore and Legend" and "Whatever happened to Captain Bligh?" Both were very interesting.  The former included superstitions, maritime traditions and the humorous origins of maritime terms, such as son of a gun and shake and leg....and others.  The latter reminded us that, although Bligh is always depicted as a villain, which he surely was, he was an extraordinary navigator and that he should be remembered for his remarkable open-boat voyage to Timor after he was expelled from the Bounty.  And he made it with no loss of life.

Spa in the afternoon...the occasional nap. No days at the pool.  Weather has been cloudy and rainy.  After dinner and before the shows, Amy and I continue to watch the sequence dancing.  The best show of this short leg was "Danza" which, as the title suggests, consisted of dance numbers....including ballet, jazz, Flamenco, all beautifully executed with stunning costumes.  The finale was an amazing "Scottish" number.  We saw the same show in 2010 during the Panama Canal cruise, but I could see if once a year?

We continue to enjoy our drinks before dinner.  Yesterday we opened one of my bottles of champagne in my cabin.  I had hoped to do it on the balcony.  I had just wiped off the chairs and then it rained and the wind blew the rain onto the balcony.  We also continue to enjoy our tablemates.  We lose 4 tomorrow since they disembark in Auckland....two really great couples.  We retain four, but we have asked 4 others to join us and we think that will happen.

Just a heads up.  Some of you have told me that you have posted comments.  I cannot see rm anywhere.  They seem to be lost in cyberspace.  I have no idea what has gone wrong, but I can't fix it now.  Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment