Saturday, February 9, 2013
At sea, February 3 to 9, 2013
At sea, en route to Honolulu.
Paul and Amy met me at the airport. We had malt scotch and dessert at the hotel before retiring. Next day, it was up and at the ship! By half noon, we were ensconced in the Lido for lunch!
Lovely to be back on the QE. Nice cabin on the starboard side with my preferred color scheme of blue and gold rather than the burgundy and gold of the port side. A bit too cool at first to venture out on the balcony, but by day two, the weather became milder. By Thursday, it was time to put on the sun screen and hang out in the sun at the pool. Sea conditions have been excellent... the occasional swell, but no good blow yet!
On Tuesday, Paul and I staked out a table at morning Trivia in the Pub. The first day's results were pitiful for everyone. We came in third, but I will not reveal the score. I am ashamed to tell Jonathan that I could not remember the name of the robot in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". But here is one for you to chew on: Which singer was born Stuart Gardener? No one got it. An 80s singer with a huge entry in Wikipedia. Adam Ant....anyone? Adam and the Ants? We are getting better each day...one teammate is a prof of history at the Air Force Academy and he is a boon! Paul and I stay after the end of trivia and talk with Chuck, for that is his name, and on Friday he joined us for lunch. He is a Europeanist, but obviously still knows his US history. We have covered so many interesting topics. Like having your own private lecturer for your own private discussion!
Every day, Amy does her water colors, beading, knitting with her "toys" as she calls her equipment!
Mid-morning cappuccinos in the Café Carinthia are always nice. An occasional movie on the TV in the cabin. I watched "A Few Good Men" again....I wanted to watch Jack Nicholson lose his cool in the final scene. A classic.
We have a very nice table at dinner with some Kiwis, Germans, Canadians and Americans. We are 11! I've run into cruising acquaintances which is nice. Comparing medical adventures!
I bought a package at the spa and, after exercises in the gym, I soak in the hydrotherapy pool. It's about the only time I don't feel the pain in my knees!
We had to stop and turn around on Wednesday to investigate an upturned hull of a boat...it was covered in barnacles and algae, so had been in the water a long time. Still, maritime law dictates that a passing ship investigate. Then we had to be cleared by the Coast Guard to continue. Captain reckons it probably dates to the Japanese tsunami...loads of items from that have turned up all over the Pacific. Who knows. But it made for some excitement. Until we got closer to it, I think people were hoping for a dramatic rescue at sea!
There are some interesting lectures: history of the Spitfire plane; Roger MGuinn, founder of the Byrds (Mr. Tambourine Man.....); whales; an Irish painter, Philip Gray; history of the Brunels, legends from Britain's Industrial Revolution. An excellent concert pianist is on board. His first concert brought the audience to its feet, cheering....now that is something. Cunard audiences are very tough. The concert was a nice mixture of Beethoven, Chopin, Grieg and Rachmaninov......with a boogie woogie number at the beginning to throw us off!
The main big show was on Wednesday night...the Cunard singers and dancers performing a little musical called Hotel Royale based on a very silly premise. Costumes and sets were great, the songs so-so. But then I am not a fan of these kind of shows with a story. I like it when the dancers just dance to all sorts of music. Maybe there will be a show like that later. We've also had a singer and a comedian....but I missed those shows.
Thursday evening we had the captain's reception. Chris Wells is our captain and he is delightful. I met him on the QM2 in 2008 and he was onboard the QV in 2010 when we had to stop in LeHavre to let the German contingency off so that they could make their way home overland. That was when the volcano in Iceland erupted and no flights were going in or out of Heathrow. Wells provided a wonderful history of the port over the tannoy as we sailed in. He also gives the best announcements at Noon....full of fascinating information.
I am writing this on Saturday morning. We have just docked in Honolulu. Last night, we went to the alternative dining venue for Mexican/Aztec food. It was a wonderful four course meal...warm nachos and four dips, cactus salad, a cornmeal dumpling con queso, a mini shredded pork tortilla, a shrimp filled tortilla for the main course ( we all chose the same dish!) and chocolate mango taste with macadamia but ice cream for dessert. I doubt the Aztecs ate this way, but we enjoyed it.
Here is a photo of Diamond Head at dawn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment