Thursday, February 28, 2013
At sea
At sea en route to Tahiti
February 24-27, 2013
Since we lost a day on the outward leg, we need to get it back on the homeward leg. So we are having two Tuesdays, two February 26ths. I have never crossed the international dateline eastbound before.
I have resumed my daily routine of Trivia, lectures, reading, listening to jazz and classical music, schmoozing, etc. Weather is not yet warm enough to be outside. It has been grey again with showers and it has been rough. Too windy to go outside, even on the balcony. I must say we have not had a lot of blue skies and sunny weather while at sea. On Tuesday number one, we were not allowed outside on any decks. Winds were force 8. Huge waves! The evening show was cancelled and will be shown tomorrow.
On Tuesday number two we were informed that the dreaded norovirus is onboard...since Wellington apparently. Well, we know three people who are sick, though we don't know why...I imagine it is the virus. So this means that we cannot help ourselves to food any more. So long lines in the Lido and alternate venues are closed because they need extra personnel in the Lido. I cannot stand for that long, so I guess I'll go to the dining room for lunch or use room service. Also, we are not allowed to use the reference books in the library. The ship follows procedures set out by the CDC and its counterparts in the UK and Australia. Apparently this virus is rife at the moment in the US and the UK. One of Ross' friends who happens to be in London is very ill with it.
On the plus side, the seas abated, the skies cleared somewhat and the sun made an appearance. It is nice and warm and I am writing this on my balcony...at long last!
As we approach Tahiti, the temperature is getting warmer and the sunsets are earlier....6:20!I By the time we finish dinner, it is dark. I was really enjoying the long light evenings while we were in New Zealand....it was light until well after 9pm, just like in Northern Europe.
On Wednesday the captain announced that, due to the length of time it takes to take on fuel in Tahiti, we would be in port until 9pm. Maybe we'll find a nice French restaurant!
We continue to place second or third in Trivia....but we enjoy picking our brains and the congeniality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment