Wednesday, July 1, 2009

DAY 9 NORWEGIAN SEA EN ROUTE TO TROMSO



Weather getting warmer – 10C (50F)…partly cloudy…nice seas..some white caps..a few whale spouts.

Went to two lectures this morning. Peter Quartermaine again – “Understanding Ships” – how shapes and designs have changed over the years, the most significant factor being the ships’ intended ports and trade. He showed slides of everything from coastal coalers to the amazing Disney cruise ships.
Disney got permission to change the color of their lifeboats form orange to yellow, to match the yellow line around the hull. And, the Italian builders, Fincanteri, were not happy when asked to paint Disney characters on the stern in the act of painting the ship……but whatever Disney wants Disney gets……except in Dubai. Haha. Last year, Peter and Debbie told me that Disney wanted to bring Disneyland to the desert, on their terms. The Sheikh dictated his terms. Disney told him to get stuffed…so I believe Universal Studios will have the honor!!!

Next another very informative and hilarious, lecture by the resident expert on Norway, Jane Davey ---all about Bergen. At one time, while a member of Hansa, Bergen was more powerful than London!! And did you know that Vikings, for all their marauding, were literate. Note left after raping a lovely Scottish lass, “Must be on my vay…more willages to plunder before I sleep. Perhaps ve vill met again next pillaging season, ja” Hahaha. Of course, the young lass did not read runes. Am very excited about seeing Norway’s cultural capital in a few days.

After lunch a wonderful concert, mainly Grieg, but also Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky – wonderful pianist, a Lancashire lad.

Jacqueline went to the pastry demonstration while we were at the lectures….caught a photo, though. Here it is.

After lunch, caught up on the blog and then went to the pub do to trivia…lost badly. Oh well! Then it was time for dinner. After dinner, met up with the gang which h now includes Lesley and David—and he is one crazy funny guy – from Lancashire. The routine is that they have their cocktails before their late dinner and I have my Scotch after my early dinner.

Tomorrow Tromso and an early start!! Am posting a photo from my window – the sky is like that 24/24. And the sea doesn’t change much.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elaine, It's great, as always, to follow your adventures! The History is fascinating. I find it hard to believe that people are so clueless as to
    ignore signs and directions, etc. especially in a tundra preserve situation.- I'm sorry that you bore the brunt of their ignorance via the tern's peck on the head! (Oh - am so glad to know that the Vikings were LITERATE marauders and pillagers!) - Today is ANOTHER God-awful rainy day with pouring rain, flooding, T-storms, etc. Last Saturday was sunny and bright, and I actually had to water your pots as they were shriveling up (I think everything is used to so much rain, that one day of sun is traumatic!) I had a job interview this afternoon which went well, I think, but won't hear anything until August 12th, so will keep on truckin' - Ted and Erin and Henry are coming for the weekend for the 4th - Henry is walking and apparently very noisy now- should be fun! Well, Congrats are in order, Madam Board Member - you are OFFICIAL! The meeting last night had a quorum (supposedly) and the Capital funding vote picked up 2 more votes so the official count
    on Q#2 is now 222! Can you believe it?! I'm going to suggest that they approach the RI Condo Panel for an "easement" or "dispensation" of the Declaration Rule that is holding us to this number - we are 3 votes short ! Anyhoo-- don't even think of NF business and continue to have a marvelous, jolly good time!! Lots of Love, Nan xo

    ReplyDelete