I slept in....still trying to catch up on lost sleep here and there. Took the tender ashore and wandered around Diocletian's Palace which forms the old part of town. Although there was a Roman settlement here before Diocletian, it was this emperor who decided to build his retirement home in this spot in the 4th century. The complex was inhabited by regional despots, then fell into disuse and eventually repopulated by refugees who salvaged living quarters and fought off attacks. So over the centuries, many parts of the ancient Roman palace were absorbed in all sorts of ways into a medieval town. Today, 3000 people live within the old precinct in about 250 houses of all kinds. One can see a house with Corinthian columns embedded in the walls here and there, especially along the Riva. I entered the town through one of the four gates, the Bronze gate, which took me through the vaulted halls of the original basement of the central hall of the palace. I emerged into the central square, the Peristyle with it's massive walls adorned with Corinthian columns, arches and cornices. On one side, houses, on the other the 13th to 15th century St Duje's cathedral and the Romesque bell tower. On yet another side, the Temple of Jupiter. All a delightful jumble of Roman, Medieval and modern,all connected by narrow cobblestone streets and some lovely squares with cafes.
And shops, shops, shops...of all kinds, for tourists and locals, but not spilling out into the streets at least. We tourists shopped with the locals. Rather like Carcassonne....but, thankfully, Carcassonne does have have cruise ships!!!!!!!
Met up with Ross and Jan, but quickly lost Ross and Jan and I went shoe shopping. Layne had gone off to the yacht basin to look at boats.....he's a sailor. The walking shoes I brought are killing me and my sandals are about to expire.Well, Split is shoe heaven.....shop after shop..inexpensive and on sale. We both bought sandals....and now I am comfortable.
Then, before returning to the ship, we just sat on a bench on the Riva and enjoyed the beautiful views.
Relaxed for the rest of the day, watched sailaway and then it was time for cocktails and dinner. Our first formal night and the black and white ball. I had hoped to have an early night, but we put the clocks forward!!!!
Sent from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment