Monday, September 19, 2011

Venice

Arrived in Venice after a stop-over in London. Beautiful views from the plane of the Veneto region all the way to the Dolomites. Runway starts practically in the lagoon so one gets a good feeling for the lay of the land....or the islands!!

The taxi "stands"...slips?....are a few minutes from the terminal. A heady ride of about ten minutes in the water taxi, as the various islands that are Venice hove into view. It is all about water!! A quick turn right down a narrow canal and we burst into the lagoon in front of Piazza San Marco abustle with tourists....and, most unfortunately, several buildings draped in scaffolding. Ah well! Then a right turn down a narrow canal to the side entrance of the Hotel Danieli. Not easy getting on and off the boats! But getting there was certainly half the fun. The main part of the hotel is a 14th century doge's palace. My room is in the 19th century wing. It is beautiful and comfortable. And awash in US and European military personnel here for a conference. 5-star hotel! Our tax dollars at work.!!!!!!

I changed and set off for the Piazza San Marco, just two canals away. It had rained earlier and there had even been some aqua alta which had left some water in front of the basilica. The guards had their wellies on and we had to use the raised wooden walkways to enter. Just like Brunetti! Before I visited the basilica, I needed a bite to eat...it was 3pm by now, so I headed for the old Caffé Florian right on the square for a quick bite. A quick bite that cost 30 euros which included a 6 euro music charge!!!! Well, you don't go to these places for the food, but for the spectacle which unfolds all around you. "The finest drawing room in Europe", according to Napoleon.

Feeling somewhat refreshed, I visited the basilica, which is a Byzantine delight of mosaic work....every wall, dome and ceiling....all covered in mosaics, much of it gilt. It is an extraordinary building. Built from the 11th to the 13th century, it's history is fascinating and far too long to recount here. Every dome depicts a different Biblical story. I climbed up to the gallery overlooking the square, where there are replicas of four equestrian statues, the originals of which are in the museum, behind the gallery. And they are stunning....gilded bronze from the 4th. century B.C., either Greek or Roman booty. From the gallery there is a magnificent close-up view of the ceilings. I also took a detour to see the Pala d'Oro, a 10th century altarpiece of gold and jewels inscribed with stories from the Gospels and the Apocrypha.

There wasn't time to do much more other than admire the campanile, the clock tower and the Procuraties Nuovo and Vecchie. Ross and I were to meet for drinks and dinner at 6, but his plane had to turn back an hour out of Dubai and make an emergency landing. So he did not arrive until 8:30. We had a quick drink and then I called it a night...I was exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment