Thursday, September 22, 2011

Venice

>Jan, Layne and I went back to San Marco on a vaporetto to catch a to Murano. Ross went off to see as much of the Biennale exhibits as possible.

Murano is the island of the famous glassworks of Venice. Initially, the works were on the main islands, but the fear of fire drove the city councillors to move the glassworks to Murano. Apparently this move also helped protect the secrets of the process.

Venice no longer enjoys the monopoly on the industry and the shops are replete with Chinese imitations. However, Murano glass is still prized. We were told that Chihuly leaned his art here. Watching the process is fascinating...it all happens in the blink of an eye. This is necessary because the glass must not cool down as they work it. I kept missing the actual blowing, because I was so focused on the tools being used at the other end of the pipe. Of course, there was the obligatory walk through the showrooms....such beautiful pieces. I love the millefiori....so I treated myself to a small bowl.

After our return, via some canals through the Castello, to San Marco, we found a small cafe for a quick bite and then we headed for the gondolas. OK, OK....touristy, yes, expensive, you bet. Worthwhile, absolutely. ( Unlike Harry's Bar!! ). We went down some lovely mainly deserted canals through quiet areas, and then burst into the Grand Canal for a little while. Amazing how the various craft dodge each other. And the way the gondolieri, and others, steer around each other and around corners in the narrowest of canals and never even graze each other or the buildings. It is an art.

Back to the ship and sail away. I has an amazing view of Venice from my balcony on the port side. It is truly amazing to sail so close to the shores. I sipped my champagne and bid arrivederci to this beautiful city as we sailed out past the Lido and into the Adriatic.

We all met for cocktails in our favorite place....the Commodore Club. Then on to dinner, where we are at a table for eight. A couple from Cape Town, but originally from Pretoria, and whose daughter had one of my cousins as her third grade teacher!!!! The other couple, from the UK consists of one of the Cunard lecturers and his wife. I went to his lectures on maritime history while on the QE2 in 2008. What a small world!!! We had a lovely dinner!

A note....there won't be any photos. The Internet is just too slow for photo files. I've tried and tried. Also, the iPad has self-correcting and sometimes I don't catch some of the weird words it comes up with.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment