Sunday, January 23, 2011

At Sea en route to Acapulco




Sunday! And you know what that means – full English breakfast – yum! Followed by Trivia (we lost ☹) and a lecture on the Spanish treasure armadas. Spain ruled the seas until that blaggard pirate, Francis Drake, put an end to it! Apparently the Spanish feel so strongly about him that they threaten their children with “If you are not a good little child, the Drake will get you!”. Of course, he wasn’t a pirate to the English, merely a privateer!!!!

After lunch with the gang, I retreated to MY private deck for the highlight of the day – a flock of brown boobies (feathered kind) following the ship (all day actually) and feeding on the tiny flying fish that the ship obviously stirs up. They are so beautiful with their beige beaks, white chests and yellow feet. One bird used a yellow foot to scratch his head while in full flight…without missing a wingbeat!!! What was amazing to see is how one minute they are just flying past the ship or hovering on the wind currents (in fact they barely beat their wings at all) and then the next minute they wheel at an incredible angle and dive for the fish. They were literally at arm’s length from me. I could see their eyes darting, looking for fish. I must say, though, that I had a very clean window before they arrived. Even though my window is sheltered, flying poop, aided by the wind, made a quick mess of things this afternoon!!

Another formal night tonight. We had drinks in the Commodore Club again – with the canapés that Gail (my travel agent) had sent for the first evening, along with a bottle of wine. Well, long story short, it has taken this long to get the damn canapés….and even then, they were one hour late tonight. They finally arrived at 4:30 just in time for 5pm cocktails. Then I got a phone call from the Room Service Manager with abject apologies and he was on his way personally with more canapés, since they had not done right by me. Well, in addition to the plate already received, he arrived with a huge silver platter, beautifully decorated and filled with caviar, shrimp and smoked salmon canapés. Paul carried it down to the Commodore for us and we really enjoyed the goodies. I took my champagne down to the dining rooms for dinner…so it was a pretty festive evening. We had New Zealand venison (I saw the deer farms when I was on South Island), which was so tender and tasty.

I did not feel like going to the show tonight. I really wanted to go out onto MY balcony…which I did. I just stared at he ocean and the firmament. The stars are unbelievable…there I very little ambient light here in the bow. I feel so much at peace with the world. I love being at sea, on the seas, near the sea. Yes, I love the luxuries…but that is not why I love cruising. I love the sea. Period.

Good night all! Meow Baudy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment