Yesterday, I picked Olga up and we proceeded to the docks and then we all met up and had lunch in the Lido. Public health precautions en effect for 72 hours –we can’t even help ourselves to water! So there were long lines at lunch. We then went off to unpack and relax. At sailaway time, Amy decided to watch the fireworks from her balcony and have dinner in the room; Paul went off somewhere. Olga and I took her champagne and went out on my “private” balcony, which runs the width of the bow on deck 6. My window looks out on it - I leave my cabin, turn right through two doors and voila! I discovered this area on the world cruise.
We had the best vantage point on the ship for the Royal Rendezvous. It was exactly the same as in 2008; the ships lined up in front of the Statue of Liberty in the same order; the ship played the same music, including Handel’s “Music for the Royal Fireworks”; the Empire State Building lit up in red. But…..having experienced it before did not make it any the less spectacular. Last time we were cold and wet. This time, we were just perishing cold. We were clothed up to the gills and I even had gloves on - red thinsulate gloves (thank you, Ruth!). My hands were so cold I almost dropped the camera onto the deck below! I thought I had frostbite! It was worth it, though!
Afterwards, Olga and I went up to the Lido for pizza and a large glass of Shiraz and watched NYC recede into the distance as we passed under the Verrazzano Bridge. Then asleep by 9:30!!!
Today, after breakfast in the cabin, went to make arrangements to get the Times Digest delivered every day– yes, for the x-word. I vow not to read news or stock market!!! Checked in on Amy and Olga in watercolor class. Ran into people I knew, although many of the crew I know are off at present – shame. After a leisurely lunch, Olga and Amy went back for the afternoon class and I went to my cabin for a rest and to finish a good book.
The Vic is still with us, alternating on port and starboard sides. She, too, is headed for the Canal. The Mary, a much faster ship, vanished after NY.
Since this ship is a sister ship to the Vic, I could find my way around blindfolded. But there are some differences:
- colorways are more subtle - more blues and beiges, especially in the theatre. I prefer them to the Vic’s.
- Chart Room has been replaced by Britannia Club, open-seating dining one class down from the Grills (or one class up from Britannia!!)
- Cafe Carinthia has been enlarged and its “Alcove” has replaced the VC Bar
- Hemispheres is now the Yacht Club
- Todd English has been replaced with Cunard-run Verandah
- Cunardia “booth” on Deck 2 is no more – allowing for better traffic control and a clear view past the Queens Room
The rooms are identical, same colors, same fabrics.
David Linley’s (Queen Elizabeth’s grandson) marquetry rendering of the ship in the Grand Lobby is elegant and beautifully crafted…I like it better than the one on the Vic. On the other hand, I do not like the portrait of the Queen….but it might grow on me. Two items that have been “rescued” from the QE2 are the 1969 gilded bust of the Queen which now resides outside the Queen’s Room and the silver statue of the QE2, formerly in her Lobby and now in the Yacht Club. There are some lovely art deco touches such as room signage and etched glass that reminds one of the original Queen Mary.
Overall, we agree that, though the same on the outside, the Liz is more elegant than the Vic.
Cocktails in the Commodore Club with friends from the 2008 cruise and our first dinner in the dining room. Excellent menu. Wonderful show in the theatre – a violin virtuoso from Manchester, England, England.
Dearest Elaine, As my attorney told you: You can run but you can't hide. All you want to do is sit on your deck, do your NYT crossword puzzles, (Far be it from you to read the exceptional Paul Krugman article in the NYT Magazine today--the very same magazine with your beloved puzzle-- let alone Frank Rich.) read your trashy novels and, most importantly, escape from and abandon me. I thought I taught you better than that but obviously you haven't learned. Like it or not: YOU WILL MISS ME--DEEPLY. Bau
ReplyDelete