Saturday, January 15, 2011

At Sea en route to Fort Lauderdale



Weather is getting warmer – no need for jackets any more. I went to Trivia this morning and joined a group of two British Merseysiders and two Americans. One of the Americans turns out to be the daughter of one of my North Farm neighbors, a retired Brown prof whom I met recently in my capacity as Governor. What a teensy tiny world. We called our team the Fab Five…but we lost big time!

After that, went to a terrific lecture by Martin Bell, a British war correspondent, broadcaster, MP, author, poet. The title: “Reflections of a War Zone Thug”. He has covered every war since Bosnia and showed some painful footage. He talked about the UN at its worst – the war in Bosnia when thousands of armed UN soldiers stood by and did nothing and the UN at its best – UNICEF for whom he is an ambassador. This will be the topic of one of his next two lectures. He has been called as a witness to the International Court at The Hague and Radjan Kara…………………, accused of war crimes in Bosnia, actually asked to speak to him. He spent 3 hours with him in his cell and described him as “affable”. How many mass murderers have been described thus in the past! Remember Uncle Joe!!! A terrific speaker…I can’t wait for more.

Then lunch with the gang in the dining room. Exccellent food and service again.

I spent the afternoon at the pool on a chaise with just one towel over me. It was lovely being in the sun. Then I moved in to the stunning Garden Lounge with its pitched glass conservatory style roof. On one wall there is a painting of a fountain in a lake anwith what I swear are Chihuly glass sculptures bobbing around…exactly like the ones I saw in the lake in the Miami Botanical Gardens a couple of years ago. I read for a while – very comfortable.

Drinks in the Café Carinthia and then dinner – lamb as only Cunard can do it. Did I tell you that they keep their own flock of sheep on board? ☺

Then the show – the resident Russian (or Ukrainian) ballroom dancers, Roman and Svetlana, performed “Ballroom Rush”. I just don’t like all the arm waving and twisting…although they did some amazing costume changes with the help of a little booth on stage. Still, I’d had enough after 10 minutes, so had Olga. So we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment