Monday, January 17, 2011

At Sea en route to Curaçao

Started out the day with Trivia and an expanded team; fared much better, but our nemesis team, consisting of friends, still beat us. Arrrgh! Next an excellent lecture on modern-day piracy by maritime historian and author, Robert Macomber. We were assured that cruise ships are extremely safe (despite one failed attempt a year or so ago)…well, we know we are because we have Ghurkas aboard!! ☺

Then lunch with the gang. Gorgeous sunny weather, tempered by a strong breeze over the decks. Still, I put my bathing suit on and spent the afternoon on deck 10.

We could just see Cuba on the horizon as we transited the “Old Bahama Channel”. Tonight we enter the Windward Passage which separates Cuba and Haiti.

Internet is agonizingly slow….but if I time it right, very early or very late, I might be able keep up with the posts.

Tonight was the captain’s reception for passengers who embarked in New York and Ft. Lauderdale….and our first formal night. Very nice as usual. Captain Bingham is very pleasant indeed with a terrific sense of humour. One of the nicest I’ve met. The Entertainment director, Alastair Greener, was on the QE2 and the Vic….and his assistant, David Moffatt is also on board. Many of the other officers are familiar, too. The Staff Captain is now called “Deputy Captain”. Yikes - Carnival at work again….sounds more corporate than naval.

The show was quite good, though we had to watch Roman and Svetlana wave heir hands around to some dreadful music. The tenor was not bad…. But the QE dancers (no longer called the Royal Cunard dancers, though I recognize some of them from as far back as 7 years!) were excellent. Very professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment