Woke up to pouring rain, but decided to go and have coffee and wait until a possible clearing, which started toward lunchtime. So we set off for KeriKeri and the Kauri Forest walk. The Kauri is the largest native tree and is one of the largest in the world. It was prized for its hard wood and used for war canoes, masts, spars and houses. Also, at one time there was a gum industry. The gum was used for varnish. Today the gum, in lumps called amber, is used for jewelry. The forests have been depleted over the years. The trees in their surroundings of ferns, palms and other semi-tropical vegetation are impressive indeed.
Ross arrived in the late afternoon and we all went to Norm and Phyll’s club for dinner. I had yet another local fish whose name I just can’t remember. I don’t seem to be any good at the Maori names. I get them all mixed up. Anyway, we had a very nice meal, then went out for ice cream and a drive around the area.
No comments:
Post a Comment