Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bay of Islands, New Zealand












Helicopter Ride Day. We took a Hughes 500, four-seater for a 20-minute ride out to Hole in the Rock and back. What a way to see the Bay of Islands! It was a gorgeous day. The trip was a Christmas present to Ross from his parents. The pilot asked Phyll if she wanted to join us and she did. I just loved it. I can’t tell you how exciting it was, especially when the pilot banked and you could look straight down. Our altitude was between 1000 and 1300 feet. Then again, pictures tell the story. Here they are.

After brunch at Waikokopu, Ross and I started back to Auckland. On the way, we stopped in Kawakawa to see the famous toilet block designed by the Austrian architect Hundertwasser – art deco and really, really interesting. Hundertwasser lived most of his life in New Zealand.

When we got back, the Sunday market on Ponsonby Rd. was in full swing – buskers, sales, cafes filled to overflowing onto the sidewalks. We stopped for coffee then did some shopping for tomorrow’s barbecue. I made my chocolate mousse and it was a total disaster – the sugar, chocolate and especially the cream are so different. It curdled for the first time ever. I tipped it down the drain and went out and bought a chocolate fudge cake. We ordered Chinese and watched “Murder on the Orient Express” while the crowds grew thicker and thicker outside; from the deck, we could see the traffic jam at the foot of Franklin Road. Later we went out and mingled. Everyone, especially the kids, just love the lights. Had drinks at a friend’s house…everyone is so friendly. Apparently, the crowds will become enormous by Christmas Eve.

Thank you all for your comments. So good to hear from you an get the latest news. Good luck Nan.

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Elaine, Wow, you are having some wonderful experiences in NZ. It is terrific that Ross, family, and friends are being nifty hosts. Life is pretty normal here. Helped Margie and Dick put up their outside lights. Going to their house next week for Margie's shepherd's pie. Had John and Anne over this evening (Saturday) for drinks and dinner. Hope to see Nan tomorrow. This past week we were in bed...about to go to sleep when we heard a loud explosion and then another. Couldn't imagine what it was. It was so big that our bed shook. Shortly thereafter we heard sirens and then saw many fire trucks and volunteer firemen in their own pick 'em ups racing down North Farm Drive. Bill and I threw on robes and stepped out onto our upstairs balcony. Flames were leaping up over the bike path behind the units on Seabreeze. Finally, the flames were out and we found out the next morning what actually happened. Someone stole a state truck from Portsmouth and drove it across the bridge to Bristol. Somewhere they got onto the bike path and ditched it next to North Farm! It is unclear at this writing how the truck got on fire. Was it set? Did the gas tanks explode because the truck was ditched off the path? I'm sure the crime will eventually be solved; but right now it is a puzzler. Never a dull moment. His nibs is excellent and being well-cared for by his Uncle. Continue your great adventure. We love your blog and look forward to each chapter!! Miss you bunches. Ciao, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Elaine! Your pictures are divine! I truly feel as though I am almost there with you! What a magnificent country , and it appears that the people are so friendly and welcoming, and they certainly know how to have fun! Maybe we all should consider moving to NZ! Ross' house with all the lights is spectacular - I'm so glad that you and his family are all having such a terrific visit - and you are definately knocking a few off your Bucket List! Wow! That helicopter ride over the Islands must have been awesome! Like Julie said, we miss you tons, but are so happy your trip is so wonderful, and you will be home very soon. Not much news here - it snowed this morning; I had to leave early to cover the Nursery at Church. Just found out that the teacher I've been in for this Fall is probably not coming back, so went in last Thursday to put a bee in the Principal's bonnet so to speak. I asked if they could give me emergency Spec. Ed. Certification so that I could take over the
    position and then I would have a certain amount of time to fulfill the credits (I don't think there are many because I think some of my Literacy credits count) Anyway, we'll see what happens. Continue to enjoy your lovely trip! XO Love, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine, I'm so glad that you are posting photos of the trip. The views from the helicopter ride are amazing. And then, the Hundertwasser art deco toilet block.....that alone will get me to New Zeeland. We had our first snow here on Sunday - beautiful big flakes. The restoration of FBCIA is finally complete (the scaffolding down) and the building looked fantastic in the snow. Ruth and I finally saw the Chihuly exhibit on Saturday and loved it. Of course, Ruth had lived the "David exhibit" so she didn't need to spend much time there. School is crazy - only 9 days left til break. Just heard that Nico is having a solo concert at Lincoln Center in February and the NYC alum group may attend. I hope to get away to hear it. Enjoy these last weeks! Love, Ken

    ReplyDelete