I was a bed bunny while Ross went off to the gym. He had a lot to do today with the final preparations for the grand illumination tonight. So we got out of his hair for the day. Phyll, Norma and I went on a reccie around Auckland on the local bus. We had hoped to take the ferry to Devonport, but it rained all morning. We did a bit of shopping – I needed a new hairdryer because mine blew up and blew a fuse this morning! Then we ducked into a movie and saw “Ghost Town” – very good and pretty funny.
From about 5pm on, we were all busy helping with the finishing touches for the evening. Ross invites a lot of people to the house for wine, champagne and hors d’oeuvres….so entry to the house is strictly by invitation. But the crowds line the sidewalk outside to see the lights switched on. For them, Ross rents a coffee station, an ice-cream truck and he has friends, dressed as ballerinas (what a hoot!) cooking sausages. He also hires a choir to sing carols and a great jazz band and singer, Briar Ross, who lives on Waiheke (see later post) on an olive estate. briarross@xtra.co.nz. And there were two girls dressed as fairies blowing bubbles for the kids. Later there will be someone dressed up as Santa with lollies (candy) for the kids. So you can imagine the comings and goings of musicians, electricians, etc. all afternoon. Unfortunately, it rained and even quite heavily at times…but I understand that the attendance was one of the best. People started to come around 7:30 and by 8:30 the house was pretty full. Then we all went outside for the lighting ceremony - it was pretty much a sea of umbrellas. Ross gave a nice speech, then the mayor of Auckland, aided by a Councilman’s daughter, and flanked by the new MP for Auckland Central “switched on” the lights on Ross’ house – an amazing show. Also, Ross got an award for his 17 years of providing Christmas cheer to the citizens of Auckland. Almost all the houses on Franklin Road were also decorated. I videotaped the ceremony and the entire street because it was too dark to use the digital camera. But one evening, I’ll go out at dusk and take photos and post them later.
The party was wonderful – met so many nice and interesting people. Ross’ friends are an eclectic mix and great fun. Phyll and Norma wore tiaras and bling-y boas – they brought one for me!
I am so glad you made it to Roscoe's in time for the big night. It sounds like a great time and wonderful night. We are following your trip daily. Thanks for the updates. Love to Roscoe!
ReplyDeleteDearest Elaine, We, too, had a tree lighting ceremony last night. We finally got around to putting up the outdoor lights; this year we added an outdoor timer. Now we can "set it and forget it". Ross' Paris looks georgeous. Glad you're having so mush fun. By the way, it's good to be a bed bunny!!!! This morning Bill had an Epidural steroid injection at the pain center at St. Anne's. We sure hope it helps; he lately has been suffering big time. Continue to enjoy. Ciao, Julie
ReplyDeleteElaine - I am finally catching up with the glorious descriptions of your adventures in Nueva Zelandia. What an exciting trip! Tomorrow, Ruth and I will purchase trees here an have our own "lighting ceremony" (although without boas and tiaras). Her Thanksgiving trip to England went as well as can be expected and the parents are still holding steady. They followed the American elections with intense curiosity; so, there was much to talk about (apart from the elderly "issues.") You were quite a celebrity here in Rhode Island, having been mentioned by Phil Eil in a local NPR edition of "This I Believe." I hope he has contacted you about it. I miss our "Roberto" dinners and look forward to resuming them upon your return. Much love, Ken
ReplyDelete