Monday, December 15, 2008

Pretoria, South Africa

Up at the crack of dawn again for a flight to Sydney and then on to Johannesburg. A very comfortable 14-hours flight during which I caught up on a lot of sleep. Of course, it was overcast and rainy when I arrived. Naturellement! My cousin Jay met me and took to their home. Caught up on the news with Belinda and the 3 kids, two dogs and three cats!!!! Turned in early to catch up on sleep. Tomorrow is a big family reunion - all the Preece clan except Billy, Dyan and their two boys who are in the States for Xmas and whom we;'ll see in NYC after Xmas. 43 in all are due here at 12:30 tomorrow. A first for the South African branch. My Dad would be so pleased. My father's mother was a Preece (it's a Welsh name, originally Ap Rhys) and her younger brother emigrated to S. Africa in the 1920s. I am desperately trying to remember everyone's names- so far I'm not doing badly. I had no idea this was going to happen.

A photo of Sydney skyline from airport - just for fun!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elaine, Can't wait to hear all about your family reunion - what a
    fun surprise! Your trip continues to be marvelous, and I can tell that
    you are thoroughly enjoying it!
    Marion had Julie and Ann and me for a lovely tea this afternoon. We missed you, but had a great time sipping tea, eating Marion's delicious goodies (including fabulous homemade scones) and chatting away -
    a nice respite in the midst of all the Holiday rush! See you very soon
    - please stay healthy! XO Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safely to SA. It was great seeing you here and I've now settled back to normality for the rest of the year ! Have a great rest of the trip and a terrific Christmas. Much love, Gail

    ReplyDelete