Wednesday, May 14, 2014

May 10, New Orleans

A hectic morning for JK since someone had hacked at the antique roses they planted in the park next door. Very long story...basically dog lovers and children advocates (park is used for sports for local schools) facing off and a city that shrugs.  John, meanwhile went to an orthodox Jewish bar mitzvah and came back totally blown away...his first orthodox ceremony.....and his last! I. went to one in France and so I could sympathize with him.   We finally set off for Hammond, JK's home town and where two of her children live, across the lake.  Interesting drive across a causeway between Lake Maurepas and Lake Ponchartrain.  Swamps and water all around.  We were headed to Mary Heather's house to celebrate her younger son Reid's graduation from high school.  I met Reid 8 years ago at Duncan's wedding in NC and we kind of bonded over fishing and pelicans.  Still a sweet young man...headed for LSU (a family tradition) and its football team.  The celebration consisted of a crawfish boil with all the fixings...plus barbecued ribs and chicken, hot dogs, potato salad and and an array or libations, followed by cake decorated with LSU colors and a football theme.  LSU colors everywhere...gold and purple, just like Wheeler!  JK's entire family was there, including Jonathan and April's new baby.  Cameron and Alex  also came.  JK stayed overnight to go to the graduation.  John and I left with Cameron and Alex.  But, on the way, we stopped at a blacksmith's to pick up some special hardware he had made for John's house.  Well, it was the back and beyond of rural!  Another movie set!  We finally arrive a a dilapidated house...beware of dog sign...old car in front.  John rings and knocks.  No answer.  He disappears round the back for a long time.  Cameron goes bravely to check on him, while Alex and I hum "Dueling Banjos".  Finally, they emerge with an elderly man with a long white beard...Duck Dynasty!!  Alex says to me...I knew he would look just like that!  Mr. Jenkins comes over and we all say hi and then he says..."How do you like the back and beyond?"  I say, "Well it certainly is beyond!"  He tells us that it was much more rural years ago when he had goats and sheep!  It was just delightful!

I keep feeling as though I have landed on a movie set.  First New Orleans, then rural Louisiana.  The architecture, the live oaks dripping with Spanish moss, the soft accents, the smell of Southern food, the dilapidation, the genteel shabbiness!

We dropped John off so that he could go to a couple of functions and I spent the evening with Cameron and Alex and their two lovely dogs..Patch who curled up with me...and Charlie.  Well behaved and well trained.  We noshed, drank wine and I got to catch up with BBT where Penny and Leonard finally get engaged.





No comments:

Post a Comment