Errands. Dinner at Lily's and then "Rent" at the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center at the College of the Canyons. I had never seen it. A rock musical, based on Puccini's "La Bohème". It tells the story of a group of impoverished young artists and musicians struggling to survive and create in New York City's Lower East Side in the thriving days of Bohemian Alphabet City under the shadow of HIV/AIDS. It was extremely energetic! I enjoyed the music, the lyrics, the dancing, the stage setting, the band....everything. The young performers were truly excellent...some will be Broadway-bound I am sure. "Seasons of Love" is a wonderful song.
May 18
Drove to Encino to see "Railway Man". A gut-wrenching movie about a British (Scottish actually) survivor of a Japanese internment camp in the Thai jungle, where prisoners and locals were used to build the Thai-Burma railroad. (Cf. "Bridge on the River Kwai", which was not accurate, as it turns out, but I digress!) I will not spoil the movie for those of you who haven't seen it except to say that the acting is exceptional: Colin Firth, Stella Skaarsgard, Jeremy Irvine ("War Horse") and even Nicole Kidman whom I don't generally like. I recommend it highly. One of the best movies of recent vintage. It is based on a true story, whose author died only two years ago.
After the movie, we went to Jerry's deli for lunch. What a menu!
After a brief nap at home, made what we now call my dirty daiquiris (with Myers rum) for Amy and me and then we had home-made pizza for dinner. More videos of Paul and Amy's trips, specifically the real bridge over the river Kwai which was part of an overland they did during the World Cruise and also Iceland.


No comments:
Post a Comment