May 6, 2014
Woke up at Gainesville, GA, dressed and set off for the dining car. Gainesville is at the southern edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains of which there was a lovely view....but I was too slow to get a photo. In the dining car, I spotted three black ladies at a table, one of whom I had met while waiting for the red cap in DC. A very gregarious woman, going to Anniston for a family wedding. A character and a half....evangelical minister, singer, all around good person doing good deeds. Well, I asked if I could join them for breakfast. By then, we were in Atlanta. We had such a good time talking about everything: family, work, care of elderly parents or difficult children, life experiences, philosophy of life! No politics, no evil! One of the other ladies is a graphic artist, the other is retired and travels a lot....everywhere, but by train in the US. She is on her way to the International Reading Conference in NO. (www.reading.org). Google it. It's mission is to promote reading, literacy instruction and research and to encourage a lifetime reading habit. The rest of the day passed easily: looking at passing scenery, reading, texting, e-mailing, napping. Rolled in to NOLA about 40 minutes late. John met me and whisked me off to a lovely crawfish boil and salad dinner....and champagne... on their loggia. I was asleep by 10, absolutely exhausted.
Rural Alabama:
Sunset over Lake Ponchartrain, Louisiana



No comments:
Post a Comment