Technical University
The Whale
Inner Parish Church at Elizabeth Bridge.
We arrived on Castle Hill and hopped off the bus in the old town of Buda. Ken went off to see the stunning Mátyás Church. There were far too many steps for me. So I went to the terrace in front of the Royal Palace which is now a museum. I walked a little, took photos and sat down on a bench to wait for Ken. 45 minutes ahead of time, he appeared....the church was closed! Weddings! And weddings there were...all over the city. I include Ken's photos of the church which I saw but did not visit!
Note: No museums. I simply cannot do that kind of walking.
We had lunch at the same restaurant as on Thursday and enjoyed even better views!
And, I never tired of photographing Parliament!
After lunch, we hopped on the red line bus which took us on an already familiar route, winding down the back of Castle Hill and up to the Citadel on top of Gellért Hill.....spectacular panoramic views od the city. We then wound down to the Elizabeth Bridge and back onto the Pest side. We hopped off at one of the docks and hopped on to the boat tour, which was included in our hopalong ticket.
We passed the church of the former Carmelite Monastery and St. Anne's Church.
We went north as far as the Margaret Bridge which is at the tip of Margaret Island, which is basically a very large park. We did not hop off!
Margaret Bridge.
Then we turned down river and....more photos of Parliament.
We disembarked and walked home past all the luxury hotels with fabulous views!
After a well-earned rest...we had been out for almost 6 hours...we went out to search for a nice restaurant for dinner. We decided to go down to a pedestrian area between St. Stephan's and the river. Saturday night in Budapest....young people everywhere....from all corners of the world....sitting on the wide steps in front of the Basilica....cafés whose tables, chairs and bar stools spilled out onto the plaza. A very heady scene. We settled on a nice restaurant called Elsö Pesti Reteshaz on Oktöber 6 Street. We did not want another heavy Hungarian meal. Ken had a salad and I had a charcuterie plate I been eying for the last couple of days. Spicy dried sausage, ham, pork cracklings (yes!), sautéed goose liver, a white cheese I could not identify and various garnishes. It was very good and we enjoyed the ambiance outside. This restaurant is considered the best Strudel restaurant of Budapest. We thought about having some...but we have eaten so much since we have been here, we decided against it. We'll see what tomorrow brings!
















No comments:
Post a Comment