Today, we slept in very late and had a late breakfast....this is Beresford style! Another glorious day. Then we went off to Oxford for the day. I had passed through once and stopped for lunch. We did not drive into Oxford...it would have been impossible to park. We did Park and Ride. Excellent bus service from an enormous car park, obviously well used. We walked around, guided by Ken and his trusty map. Unfortunately, it was Open Day for prospective students and families...so the colleges were not open to the public. Still, the buildings, even from the outside are glorious. It is a very heady ambiance...one feels as though one is walking with the ghosts of the great. The town itself is also lovely. Very crowded this time of year. We stopped in a cafe for tea cakes and tea and then headed home.
The years go fast in Oxford,
The golden years and gay,
The hoary Colleges look down
On careless boys at play.... (Winifred Letts)
The golden years and gay,
The hoary Colleges look down
On careless boys at play.... (Winifred Letts)
As we were walking back to the bus, my phone rang. Long story short, a taxi driver was waiting for me at Gatwick. I had booked for July 3 instead of August 3. I was so embarrassed. They were very nice about it and promised to look into an "accommodation". I rebooked for the correct date.
Then there is Phil whom I love dearly, but who got everything wrong about my visit to him and Sophie. He was thoroughly confused, even though our exchange of emails had been clear. Many emails and calls later to Phil, Sophie and even Paul and Della, I am going there tomorrow for one night only. Then I will come back here for Saturday night. Phil freely admits it was all his fault; Sophie said he should not have been in charge of the arrangements from the get go. Paul echoed that. We all had to laugh. But they are arranging a barbecue to which Matt and family will come. So all will be well that will end well!
We went to dinner at a lovely restaurant, the Woody Nook, and had a delicious meal with wonderful wine...Ken is a wine aficionado and always chooses well. Then home and chatted until 1am!






bet you're glad you're missing the weather back home...happy 4th of july xx roscoe
ReplyDelete