Friday, July 11, 2014

Heswall and Liverpool, July 9 and 10, 2014

July 10.

Yesterday, another glorious day, Jill and I went to coffee at Thornton Hall, a beautiful resort and spa where we have had many gatherings and stays in the past and I picked up some nail polish to replace the one that exploded in my suitcase....encased in two plastic bags, fortunately.  A pretty relaxed day.  Then in the evening, Jill and Stuart went out to a birthday party and I was left with my honey bunnies!  I heated up a delicious moussaka and had a salad.  I sat with a dog at each side, petting them alternately and reading.  I gave them their bickies and put them to bed, in their kennel, at 9:30.  Next, it was time to watch the glorious sunset from "my room".

Today, I shelled broad beans from the garden and laid the table for tonight's dinner.  Stuart picked courgettes (zucchini in the US) and blackcurrants and dug some Charlotte potatoes.  Meanwhile, Jill prepared fresh salmon with asparagus.

After lunch, Stuart drove me to Liverpool (through the tunnel, not on the ferry!) to see my almost-95 year old aunt.  We left a bit early and took the long way through the center of the city and I saw a lot more development than when I was last here.  There is now a cruise terminal where large ships, such as the Queens of Cunard, the iconic Liverpool company, dock.  This all means more hotels and such.  One has to remember that Liverpool, a major port, was bombed mercilessly in 1940 and 1941, with losses second only to London.  The post-war decline of this city meant that large swaths were not immediately rebuilt.   It is gradually regaining its former glory.


Liver and Cunard buildings...they survived the bombings.


Liverpool University...Dad's alma mater.



Auntie Lavinia and cousin Alison.

Alison's husband, Geoff, picked us up and drove us to Jill and Stuart's in his new Jaguar!  Very posh.
Just as we arrived, so did cousins Ruth and Hugh.  We had drinks outside and then a lovely dinner, as outlined before, except that, while we were on the other side of the Mersey, Jill had prepared a delicious starter of honeydew melon with prosciutto, drizzled with a balsamic glaze.  Next came the salmon, with a salsa verde.  Dessert consisted of home-made Summer Pudding (layers of summer fruit and sponge or Madeira cake) and Bakewell Tart.....le tout accompanied by a blackcurrant coulis, heavy cream and whipped cream.   And, of course, great conversation and lots of laughs.


Stuart, Hugh, Geoff
Jill, Ruth, Alison













No comments:

Post a Comment