Wednesday, July 30, 2014

To Switzerland, July 28, 2014

We left for the airport at 6am, both of us having flights around 8am.  Ken flew to London where he will spend the night, then meet Ruth tomorrow. I flew to Geneva where Danielle met me.  Weather is still good, but it is not supposed to last.  Great to see both Danielle and David in their lovely home in Villars, high above the Rhône Valley.  

We had a lovely lunch outside in the sun.   There were low-lyong clouds and I could not see the Dents du Midi.  A friend from Miami, Olivia, whom I have met before, is visiting for a week and renting nearby.  She used to work in the area, with Danielle's sister at one point, and that is how they all met many, many years ago.  Olivia came over for fondue.  Danielle prepared it and David stirred!  Yum, especially when, following David's advice, I dipped my bread in Williamine (local pear eau-de-vie) before dunking it in the fondue!  Of course, after dinner, David and I had Williamines.  We both love the stuff!

By the time we were preparing for dinner, the weather had deteriorated.  It became very cool, so much so that Danielle made a fire in  the wonderful stove in the dining room.  Later it started to rain and it was quite heavy in the night.

David, Elaine, Danielle


David, Elaine, Olivia


No comments:

Post a Comment