Last day at Jill and Stuart's. Jill and I had coffee at Shirley's in the morning. (Stuart's elder sister). When we got back to the house, Val (Stuart's younger sister) and Brian were there and we had a glass of wine...before lunch, mind you! After lunch, I took a nap and packed. In the evening, we went over into North Wales to the Boat at Erbistock. I hadn't been there since 1978! It was the best evening yet. We had starters at tables out on the grass on the banks of the Dee. It was so beautiful, sunny and warm, that we cancelled our table inside and ate the entire meal outside. What a glorious way to end my visit to the UK.
July 12, 2014
Jill drove to Manchester from where I flew to Heathrow and spent the night at the hotel at Terminal 5.
I was so tired, I ate my dinner at 6 and was asleep at 9!
July 13, 2014
Paris here we come. Ken and I met at the gate in Terminal 5 for the flight to Paris. He had just come in from the States barely two hours earlier. We had prebooked a taxi and so the ride into the city was very smooth and easy. The owners of the apartment met us, went over everything with us, we did some high finance and then we were on our own. We are very pleased with the apartment and the location.
We decide to explore the area, but took an umbrella just in case. Well, halfway to the Seine, it started to pour and my little brolly did not exactly shelter the two of us...plus it was very hard to walk along the very narrow sidewalks. We got as far as the Institut de France and then turned back and ended up at a cafe across from our digs. I looked like a drowned rat and my clothes were soaked. We had yummy croque monsieurs avec frites et salade and big glasses of red wine. As it is Sunday, no markets were open for general groceries and may not be tomorrow either since it will be Bastille Day! Never mind, there is no dearth of cafes, patisseries, traiteurs etc. We know where we are going for breakfast tomorrow....two doors down! Tough life!
L'Institut de France, whose members of the Académie Française are keepers of the Gallic grammar flame, among other things.







No comments:
Post a Comment